Welcome to MMOnline, an excellent music education resource for adults looking to support children with their Early Years Music development. You can take your little one on a musical journey, online, when it works for you, anytime, anywhere.
The material found on MMOnline aims to establish confidence in both the adult and child to lay strong foundations in a child's Musical learning, whilst also being great fun!
"We are all born musical. Babies begin developing musical abilities and interest in the womb and, from then on, their musical development is nurtured by the adults around them... given the right support and opportunities, young children quickly gain a deep, subconscious understanding of musical concepts and skills" (Neilson 2016)
There is access to a catalogue of Musical Miniatures classes where parents and children can take part in a 30min instructor led session - resources required are indicated in the supporting text along with arts and crafts ideas for those looking for extra activities to entertain and support their child's development. These classes will be updated fortnightly
The library of songs and rhymes includes carefully selected material from which basic music skills and concepts are derived. There is guidance to support adults to adapt the material to suit their child's age and ability, as well as videos to sing along to.
A range of musical instruments are showcased in the pre-recorded classes, in 'Welcome to the instruments' there are videos created to enable users to learn more about these instruments and hear some contrasting music to move and dance too.
In our opinion, Music itself is intrinsically valuable to everyone and brings a great deal of joy to babies and children. Music is also a fantastic vehicle for learning, supporting
- Developments in speech,
- The ability to focus and listen,
- Physical development (physical coordination, spatial awareness, balance skills, gross motor and loco motor skills)
- Numeracy skills
- Language development (imitating sounds they hear – increased vocabulary e.g. numbers, colours, Days of the week, months of the year).
- Social Interaction skills – whether this be carer-baby exchanging coos or 2 or more children making music with pots, pans or traditional instruments.
- The building of confidence.
- Expressing of feelings - children can learn to moderate, express and reflect Upon their emotions through musical activity.
MMOnline lays great foundations for learning and provides an excellent start for your child’s musical development. Whether you attend a weekly music class near you, or your irregular working hours/nap schedules /general demands on your time mean you don't, MMOnline is here for you. The material used is borrowed from Musical Miniatures live classes and is designed to stretch the minds of 0-5 year olds. I hope you’ll have some fun along the way too!!